Call for Papers: The Theatre of the πόλις between Entertainment and Politics: New Interpretations of Ancient Greek Drama
- 26. Juni 2019 - Call for papers
International Conference for Postgraduate and Early Career Research Students
Call for Papers deadline 15th of July 2019 (12PM)
Pisa, 21st-22nd of October 2019
Department of Philology, Literature and Linguistics
Lead doctoral committee
Luca Austa (Siena/Torino), Giulia Baccaro (Pisa), Micol Muttini (Siena)
Andrea Giannotti (Durham/Pisa)
Enrico Medda (Pisa), Simone Beta (Siena), Francesco Carpanelli (Torino), Patrick J. Finglass (Bristol), Andrea Taddei (Pisa), Mauro Tulli (Pisa)
Enrico Medda / Andrea Taddei (Pisa), Simone Beta (Siena)
Topics of discussion
‘The Theatre of the πόλις’ aims to gather the most stimulating and innovative methods of analysis for the investigation of ancient theatre in all of its literary, socio-political and ritual aspects. The role of the πόλις (of Athens as well as of other cities which organised and hosted dramatic agones and performances) still constitutes a hotly debated topic. For this occasion, we are seeking papers mainly (but not exclusively) related to the following fields of study:
- Historical, political and sociological readings and considerations of tragic and comic texts within their contemporary context.
- Interpretations and literary considerations of tragic and comic texts beyond their contemporary context.
- Considerations of ancient dramatic festivals (Athenian and non-), their organisation, and their (social, anthropological and religious) functions between theatricality and rituality.
- The theatre of the πόλεις beyond the traditional Athenocentric interpretation of ancient theatre.
- Considerations of the Panhellenic character of ancient theatrical texts.
- The aftermath: the evolution of the theatre after the 5th BCE. Readings and interpretations of an industrial and itinerant phenomenon.
- The theatre and the tyrants: considerations on the theatrical activity devoted to tyrannical power in Greece and the Mediterranean world.
The Congress is open to PhD students and early career researchers working on topics related to any aspect of Ancient Greek Theatre. Each paper should be fresh and innovative; re-adapted proposals will not be considered. Each proposal will be judged and selected by the Scientific Committee.
How to submit a proposal
To attend the Congress ‘The Theatre of the πόλις’ as speakers, candidates must send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org following these instructions:
1. (a) Object. The object of the e-mail must be: ‘Candidacy to Pisa session’;
2. (b) Attachments. The following documents must be attached to the e-mail (rigorously in .pdf): (i) an anonymous abstract (max. 300 words) of the proposed paper [in case of a collective panel (max. 3 papers) all abstracts must be attached as a single document along with a brief introduction]; (ii) a concise CV (max. 300 words) which highlights: University affiliation, degrees, relevant publications.
Papers can be delivered in Italian or English. Each paper must be 30 minutes long, followed by a discussion. Publication of written versions of the papers is planned (although the publication is subject to the unquestionable judgement of the Scientific Committee and to a process of blind peer-review).
Proposals will be accepted until 15/07/2019 (12PM [IT]). The outcome will be notified by 15/20 days after the closing of the CfP. The definitive programme will be published in September.
Meals will be covered for the speakers (2 lunches; 1 dinner); unfortunately, on this occasion, it is not possible to ensure further reimbursements.
For info about the Congress, please contact the organiser at the following email address: email@example.com
The Congress is a public and free event.
Please download the complete CfP (with the abstract of the conference) in pdf here: http://www.teatroclassico.unito.it/it/content/convegno-«il-teatro-della-πόλις»-pisa-2019